There are many ways to get started as a medical scribe, and in this article, we’ll cover several medical scribe programs offered through colleges and hospitals. Some programs award students with certificates for their achievements, some offer scribe jobs immediately after completion, and some are scribe job opportunities with paid training included. With both online and in-person courses available in several locations across the country, there is a wide array of options for aspiring physician scribes. Some ER scribe programs are designed for working medical assistants while other require no healthcare experience.
Working as a medical scribe can be an excellent way to get your foot in the door for a career in healthcare. Hospital scribes work directly with physicians, helping them document their patient interactions so they can have more face-to-face time with their patients rather than having to chart behind a screen. Being able to earn several hours of hands-on clinical experience, learning medical terminology and applying it in real time, and getting paid for it with room for growth makes clinical scribing an ideal position for pre-health students. Below is a list of medical scribe programs arranged alphabetically by state with scribe school information to help you choose a program that works for you!
University of Alaska Fairbanks
This is an occupational endorsement program located in Fairbanks, Alaska. The only requirements to apply are a high school diploma or GED and basic keyboard skills. Students attending the program will take courses in medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, CPR, pharmacology, coding, computer business, and medical coding, finishing with a Medical Scribe Specialist Practicum. Although not a certificate program itself, successful completion will make students eligible to take the Medical Scribe Certification and Aptitude Test (MSCAT).
- Estimated Total Cost: $6,467 (AK resident), $22,880 (non-resident)
- Address: 505 South Chandalar Drive, Fairbanks, AK 99775
- Contact Info: 907-455-2800
Stanford Medical School’s Clinical Observation and Medical Transcription (COMET) Fellowship
Stanford Medical School’s Clinical Observation and Medical Transcription (COMET) Fellowship is a 13-month program for post-baccalaureate students. This program is in collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic Fellowship described above, so the requirements, expectations, and opportunities are very similar between the two medical scribe programs. After 50 hours of online training and 25+ hours of in-clinic training, fellows are expected to work at least 20 hours per week (five 4-hours shifts) for one year, with opportunities for additional part-time jobs, eligibility to become a Chief Scribe, and optional research experience.
- Estimated Total Cost: $6,500
- Address: 450 Serra Mall, Stanford, CA 94305
- Contact Info: Anthony Duong, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shasta College Scribe Certificate Program
The Shasta College Medical Scribe Certificate program is one of the several Allied Health Programs offered at Shasta College. Students enrolled in this fully online 1-semester program will take 11 credits in medical scribe theory with lab, allied health professional development, worksite learning, medical terminology, and pharmacology. This a great option for virtual medical scribes.
- Estimated Total Cost: $1,000
- Address: 11555 Old Oregon Trail, Redding, CA 96003
- Contact Info: 530-242-7500
Mt. San Jacinto College Scribe Certificate Program
This is an accelerated 1-month medical scribe certificate program with 128 clock hours worth of classroom training. Enrolled students will receive instruction in general office skills, data processing, office equipment operation, medical record keeping, business regulations, clinical office procedures, and communication skills. The total cost of attendance includes required materials for the program such as a blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, and scrubs.
- Estimated Total Cost: $2,800
- Address: 1499 N State Street, San Jacinto, CA 92583
- Contact Info: 951-487-3711
University of Florida Scribe Program
A section of University of Florida’s Department of Medicine, the UF medical scribe program provides in-person training with a commitment of working 2-4 shifts/week for 12 months. Many applicants to the UF scribe program have completed their baccalaureate degree and are pursuing this opportunity with scribe UF during their gap year – but this is not a requirement! This UF ER scribe job is a great opportunity for people interested in a career in medicine and healthcare. Emergency department scribe work at the UF Health Medical Plaza, Springhill, and Tower Hill locations in many different specialties including infectious disease, pulmonology, family medicine, hepatology, endocrinology, etc.
- Estimated UF Medical Scribe Program Cost: Free, paid job opportunity
- Address: P.O. Box 100277, Gainesville, FL 32610
- Contact Info: email@example.com
Emergency Medicine of Idaho Scribe Program
This is a paid doctor scribe job opportunity located in Meridian, Idaho. Training is offered internally after which scribes will continue to work with Emergency Medicine of Idaho. ER scribes who work with EMI often pursue medical school or other health degrees, citing their experience as an ER scribe as a motivating factor and valuable experience.
- Estimated ER Scribe Training Cost: None (paid job opportunity)
- Address: 3080 Gentry Way, Suite 210, Meridian, ID 83642
- Contact Info: Krystelle Pule, firstname.lastname@example.org
Western Iowa Tech Community College Medical Scribe Certificate Program
A fully online medical scribe certificate program offered at WITCC is designed for students who have already earned a degree in Nursing, Paramedic, or Medical Assisting to increase their medical skills. The 10-credit program includes Scribe Fundamentals I and II and Medical Transcription. For people with medical experience this a good way to become a remote medical scribe.
- Estimated Total Cost: $1,870
- Address: 4647 Stone Avenue, Sioux City, IA 51106
- Contact Info: Carmen Monk, email@example.com or Teri Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Southeastern Community College Medical Scribe Certificate Program
This medical scribe certificate teaches its students the necessary skills for entry-level employment as medical scribes. The 16 credits of the program include both lecture and lab medical scribe courses such as Anatomy & Physiology, Medical Terminology, Law & Ethics, Human Relations, and Intro to Medical Scribing. The program can be completed in just one semester and successful students are well prepared to start scribing.
- Estimated Total Cost: $2,900 (IA resident), $3,000 (non resident)
- Address: 1500 West Agency Road, West Burlington, IA 52655
- Contact Info: Megan Massner, email@example.com, 319-208-5000 ext. 5203
Washburn University Institute of Technology Scribe Certificate Program
Located in Topeka, Kansas, this medical scribe technical certificate program provides students with extensive classroom training in medical terminology, computer software, Word processing, medical transcription, and medical office procedures. The 21 credits needed for completion may be taken in just one semester (full-time) or in two semesters (half-time), making it a flexible option to fit your schedule. The program is open to both recent high school graduates and adult learners.
- Estimated Scribe Certificate Program Cost: $600 (high school graduates), $3,500 (adult learners)
- Address: 5724 SW Huntoon Street, Topeka, KS 66604
- Contact Info: 785-670-2200
Bluegrass Community and Technical College
BCTC offers a Medical Information Technology program which offers certificates in several healthcare options, including medical scribe. The courses required in the medical scribe certificate include Intro to Computers, Anatomy & Physiology with lab, Medical Terminology, English Writing, Document Formatting, Medical Transcription, Medical Office Procedures, Electronic Medical Records, and Medical Information Management. The 28 credits are to be taken in-person over the course of one year.
- Estimated Total Cost: $4,900 (KY resident), $17,000 (non-resident)
- Address: 470 Cooper Drive, Lexington, KY 40506
- Contact Info: Tammie Disco Boggs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 859-246-6654
Allegany College of Maryland Scribe Specialist
The Allegany College of Maryland offers a Medical Scribe Specialist certificate program for individuals looking to enter the healthcare field. In-person courses cover a wide range of topics such as medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, pharmacology, electronic health records, clinical documentation, legal guidelines, billing & coding, quality improvement, and workflow. After classroom instruction is completed, students will participate in an 80-hour practicum experience to apply and improve the skills they have learned.
- Estimated Total Cost: $4,900 (in-county), $8,500 (MD resident), $10,500 (non-resident)
- Address: 12401 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland, MD 21502
- Contact Info: Lisa Rocks, email@example.com, 301-784-5318
Cambridge Health Alliance
A 2-week accelerated scribe training program prepares participants for an entry-level job as a medical scribe with Cambridge Health Alliance. The comprehensive training is led by Tuft University School of Medicine’s Professor and Chair of Family Medicine, Dr. Wayne Altman. The course includes classroom visits to the Tufts University School of Medicine to allow participants a chance to learn healthcare topics alongside medical students. After classroom training, scribes will have a chance to practice, with supervision, with real patients at the Family Practice Group before working on their own.
- Estimated Scribe Program Cost: None (paid job opportunity)
- Address: 1493 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
- Contact Info: Steve Dolat, firstname.lastname@example.org
Scribe Academy at Grand Valley State University
This is an accelerated tuition-free program called Scribe Academy at the Grand Valley State University in Michigan. New applicants are selected for the program every month, and after comprehensive training in online, classroom, and clinical settings, successful students are hired as hourly employees with Helix Scribe Solutions. New hires are expected to work at least two 8-hour shifts per week in the Emergency Departments of several local hospitals with a 12-month commitment.
- Estimated Scribe Acacemy Cost: None (tuition-free)
- Address: 1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI 49401
- Contact Info: Chris Defever, email@example.com
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
The MCTC scribe training program consists of 33-credits that can be completed in 2 semesters. Students’ first semester will include classes in biology, business computers, EMR, medical terminology, and healthcare communications. Students will continue their training during the second semester with classes in healthcare documentation, diseases and pharmacology, and coding, completing the program with a medical scribe Internship. Classes are offered in both online and hybrid formats. After successful completion of the program, students are awarded a Medical Scribe Specialist diploma.
- Estimated Scribe Training Program Cost: $23,000
- Address: 1501 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55403
- Contact Info: 612-659-6000
University of Mississippi Medical Center Medical Scribe Specialist
UMMC has an 18-credit Medical Scribe Specialist certificate program for both existing healthcare workers and people hoping to enter the healthcare field. With a combination of online, classroom, and clinical training, enrolled students will receive instruction in medical and pharmacological terminology, body systems, diagnostics, electronic medical records, legal guidelines, workflow, and more. Successful students will also be eligible to sit for the ACMSS exam for certification.
- Estimated Scribe Specialist Training Cost: $15,000
- Address: 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216
- Contact Info: 601-815-1150
Great Falls College MSU Scribe Apprentice Program
This is a Montana State University based medical scribe apprentice program that prepares students for entry-level scribing opportunities. Students will receive classroom instruction regarding how to document physician/patient interactions and use electronic health record systems efficiently. Students who successfully complete the program will be eligible to sit for the MSCAT for certification.
- Estimated Total Cost: -contact for more information-
- Address: 2100 16th Avenue South, Great Falls, MT 59405
- Contact Info: Laramie Smovir, 406-771-5132, firstname.lastname@example.org
William Paterson University Online Scribe Certificate Program
This is a 6-month online scribe certificate program in New Jersey totaling about 500 hours of instruction separated into 4 modules. The modules are Medical Terminology, Medical Records, Medical Coding I, and Medical Coding II. Online coursework provides the experience needed to become a telescribe. All required materials are included in the program fee including a practical experience.
- Estimated Online Medical Scribe Certificate Cost: $2,499
- Address: 300 Pompton Rd, Wayne, NJ 07470
- Contact Info: 973-720-2125
Eastern New Mexico University – Roswell Medical Scribing Certificate
ENMU offers an 18-credit Medical Assisting program through which students can receive a Certificate of Employability in medical scribing. In addition to medical transcription basics, students are also taught how to take patient histories, input patient data (i.e. vital signs, height, weight), record test results, and assist the provider with their assessment and plan of treatment.
- Estimated Medical Scribe Certificate Cost: $2,400
- Address: 52 University Boulevard, Roswell, NM 88203
- Contact Info: 575-624-7199
Craven Community College Program
Designed for individuals with credentials as a certified medical assistant (CMA), this 15-credit certificate program helps students add to their professional skill set. Four online courses and one hybrid course cover topics necessary to be a successful virtual doctor scribe, such as medical transcription and electronic medical records. This is a post-diploma program and potential applicants must apply to the college for admittance with no separate application for enrollment in the certificate program.
- Estimated Certificate Cost: $1,140 (NC resident), $4,020 (non-resident)
- Address: 800 College Court, New Bern, NC 28562
- Contact Info: Wanda Thomas, 252-639-2025
Cleveland Clinic Medical Observation and Scribe Training (MOST) Fellowship
The Cleveland Clinic’s Medical Observation and Scribe Training (MOST) Fellowship is a one-year program offered to post-baccalaureate students, making it a great gap-year opportunity for students who have completed their undergraduate degree. There are no credits or grades associated with the program. Instead, fellows receive 50 hours of online training in medical terminology and transcription basics, followed by over 25 hours of in-clinic training with a MOST trainer and physician mentors. After training, fellows are expected to work a minimum of 24 hours per week as a certified medical scribe. Fellows also have an opportunity for a part-time job in addition to scribing duties and can be eligible for a one-year leadership role as a MOST Chief Scribe. There are also optional opportunities to gain research experience while enrolled in the program.
- Estimated Total MOST Fellowship Cost: $6,500
- Address: 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195
- Contact Info: MOSTfellowship@ccf.org or 800-223-2273
Eastern Gateway Community College Medical Scribe Specialist Certificate Program
This is a 3-semester medical scribe specialist certificate program offered in-person at Eastern Gateway Community College in Steubenville, Ohio. Students who are enrolled in this program complete 30-31 credits in medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, clinical classification, health record, law & ethics, and more to prepare for an entry level scribing position.
- Estimated Total Cost: $7,440 (non-resident)
- Address: 4000 Sunset Boulevard, Steubenville, OH 43952
- Contact Info: email@example.com or 800-682-6553
Oregon Health & Science University Medical Scribe Program
In addition to tuition-based medical scribe programs, some institutions offer paid job opportunities for which training is provided internally in an accelerated format prior to beginning work in the clinical setting. OHSU offers both part- and full-time scribe positions with the OHSU Health Ambulatory Care Operations department. The OHSU clinical scribe program is recommended for students aspiring to matriculate into graduate health degree programs as they are looking for talented individuals who already demonstrate solid skills in the field and have the motivation to succeed. Required qualifications include 3 months of general office experience or equivalent, knowledge of medical scribing and workflow, a typing speed of at least 60 WPM, and a flexible schedule.
- Estimated OHSU Medical Scribe Training Cost: None (paid job opportunity)
- Address: 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239
- Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clarion University – Venango Medical Scribe School
This Pennsylvania medical scribe program provides courses in medical terminology, electronic health records, health unit coordination, and medical billing & coding. After completing this medical scribe school students will also be able to demonstrate extensive understanding of department flow, physician note documentation, and HIPAA policies. Students will receive a certificate of completion after classroom and clinical training, and will also be eligible to sit for the MSCAT.
- Estimated Total Cost: $10,000
- Address: 1801 W 1st Street, Oil City, PA 16301
- Contact Info: Tammy M. Dulaney, 814-676-6591 ext. 1273
Greenville Technical College ER Scribe Course
This is a fully-online 8-week course designed for existing allied health professionals looking to learn new skills and expand their career opportunities to on-site or remote medical scribing. Applicants should have 2-3 years of medical office experience and must score an 80% or higher on the pre-assessment screening. Students who complete the course will receive a certificate of completion for the course and will be eligible to sit for the American College of Medical Scribe Specialists (ACMSS) National Certification Exam.
- Estimated Total Cost: contact for more information
- Address: P.O. Box 5616, Greenville, SC 29606
- Contact Info: Abbe Fass, abbe.Fass@gvltec.edu, 864-250-8235
Midlands Technical College Scribe Training Courses
Midlands Technical College of South Carolina offers an 8-month curriculum consisting of 3 courses totaling 180 hours of instruction. The courses are Medical Terminology (online), Electronic Health Records (classroom), and an accelerated 12-week training course entitled Medical Scribe Specialist (hybrid). Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to sit for the ACMSS certification exam.
- Estimated Training Course Cost: $3,743
- Address: P.O. Box 2408, Columbia, SC 29202
- Contact Info: email@example.com or 803-732-0432
Pellissippi State Community College
The Medical Scribe curriculum at PSTCC is an 18-credit in-person certificate program offered to students enrolled in the college – those wishing to enroll in the Medical Scribe program must first apply for admission to the college. The course includes 3 foundation courses in medical terminology, office procedures, and word processing as well as 3 core courses in electronic health records, healthcare delivery systems, and continued medical terminology. Credits earned in this program may be applied towards the Administrative Professional Technology/Medical Office Concentration, A.A.S. degree.
- Estimated Cost: $3,000
- Address: 10915 Hardin Valley Road, Knoxville, TN 37933
- Contact Info: 865-694-6400
Houston Community College: Medical Assistant – Medical Scribe Certificate
A one-year program offered at Houston Community college prepares students to work as certified medical scribes. A few prerequisites are required to enroll, which are Intro to Health Professions, Basic Health Profession Skills, Medical Terminology, and Integrated Software Applications I. During the first semester of the certificate program, students will take courses in Anatomy & Physiology, Law & Ethics, EMR Documentation, and Medical Insurance. The second semester is a capstone practicum in which students will be able to practice doctor scribing in a clinical setting.
- Estimated Total Cost: $2,022 (in-district), $4,326 (TX resident), $5,442 (non-resident)
- Address: 3100 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002
- Contact Info: 713-718-2000
Salt Lake Community College Scribe Certificate of Achievement
This medical scribe certificate program offers students 11 scribe classes totaling 510 clock hours of instruction with a combination of online, classroom, and clinical activities. Students take classes that teach the necessary skills to be a successful scribe including Anatomy & Physiology, Medical Terminology, Healthcare Environment, Pharmacology, Insurance & Billing, and Health Records. The program also includes a medical scribe externship that must be completed with 80% satisfaction. Students earn First Aid and CPR certification through the program as well.
- Estimated Total Training Cost: $1,895
- Address: 3491 W 9000 Street, JHS 011, Salt Lake City, UT 84088
- Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-957-4073
University of Virginia ER Scribe Program
Students who attend University of Virginia (UVA) have the opportunity to work as a scribe with the UVA Health system. Clinical scribes are hired as hourly employees through the school’s students employment options and temp services. Hired students will receive extensive training, both in the classroom and clinical settings. Students applying to the UVA medical scribe position must commit to working 12-20 hours per week during the school year and 30-40 hours during the first summer after hiring. A 2-year minimum commitment is expected, but this can be flexible for students who apply in their third year or later.
- Estimated Medical Scribe Training Cost: None (paid job opportunity)
- Address: 200 Jeanette Lancaster Way, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Contact Info: email@example.com
Virginia Commonwealth University ED Scribe Program
The Virginia Commonwealth University ED scribe training program is a paid program with options to work in the emergency department or VCU medical center clinics. About one-quarter of program participants are gap year students. Applicants must have a high school diploma and complete the paid training within six months.
- Estimated Total Cost: No cost – paid job opportunity with training
- Address: Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, Box 980401, Richmond, Virginia 23298-0401
- Contact Info: (804) 828-5250
Centralia College Scribe Certificate Program
Centralia College offers a 49-credit in-person scribe certificate program to be completed in 3 academic quarters. The fall quarter consists of courses in Electronic Medical Records, Human Relations, Skillbuilding, and Medical Terminology; the winter quarter continues education with Business English, Word, Human Biology, and Skillbuilding; the spring semester concludes the training with Medical Transcription, Medical Math, Medical Law & Ethics, and Safety & Fitness.
- Estimated Total Training Cost: $4,830 (WA residents), $5,282 (non-residents)
- Address: 600 Centralia College Boulevard, Centralia, WA 98531
- Contact Info: 360-736-9391
Tacoma Community College Medical Scribe Programs
This is a fully online scribe certificate program offered through Tacoma Community College in Washington. There are no admissions requirements or application processes associated with this program. Students take 13 credits in biology, English composition, medical terminology, and medical scribing. This program is also offered in the IBEST format which is designed for students who are below college level in their reading/writing/math skills.
- Estimated Total Cost: $1,100 (WA residents), $2,900 (non-residents)
- Address: 6501 S 19th Street, Tacoma, WA 98466
- Contact Info: Jonathan Eastabrooks (firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-566-5228) OR Rebecca Jayasundara for the IBEST model (253-566-5229)
Northcentral Technical College Scribe Training Program
This is a 10-credit medical scribe specialist training program offered in-person at Northcentral Technical College in Wausau, Wisconsin. Healthcare Documentation, Medical Terminology, Medical Scribing, and Medical Office Insurance & Finance are the required courses for this program, providing students with the necessary skills to navigate healthcare documentation in any setting. Successful completion of the course earns students a Medical Scribe Specialist Certificate.
- Estimated Total Cost: $1,500 (in-state students), $2,200 (out-of-state students)
- Address: 1000 W Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401
- Contact Info: 715-675-3331